[Rd] [rfc] Package to access the internal zlib library.

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Jan 30 14:36:35 CET 2008

On 1/30/2008 4:20 AM, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, jason at acm.org wrote:
>
>> To make R.matlab's readMat work for me[1] I needed access to zlib's
>> uncompress function.  R already links with zlib, and sometime last
>
> Not so: R can be linked to the system's zlib, and otherwise uses its own
> copy which is not intended for use by packages.
>
> Please check what 'Writing R Extensions' says about using undocumented
> entry points in R.  Ideally none of zlib would be visible, but some
> packages have been making use of undocumented entry points and we took
> pity on them.

rgl is one of those packages.  Over the last couple of days, I've been
looking at linking it to freetype as well, to allow fonts to be
specified in the displays.

This is taking me some time, because although freetype has lots of
support for being built in diverse environments, the environment Rtools
provides on Windows is different from all of those, and I'm not that
familiar with debugging complicated GNU Makefiles.

Now it seems to me that some other package might want to make use of
freetype.  Eventually they'll be able to copy what we do in rgl, but it
would make more sense for me to wrap up freetype as an R package, so
they can concentrate on whatever it is that interests them.  This
package would have no R entry points, it would just package the headers
libs and source in a standard way, so that other packages could choose
to statically or dynamically link to it.  On platforms that provide
freetype as a system library the package might build nothing at all, or
a user might choose to install it (to get a particular version for
static linking, for example.)

So would it be feasible to put together another R package type, that is
essentially just a wrapper for a library like freetype or zlib?  (rgl
also links to pnglib in R on Windows, also through undocumented methods.)

> Your package will not work as it does not include the header zlib.h, and
> e.g. Windows does not have it.  Expecting the system's zlib.h to work with
> R's internal copy is unsafe.

If we did have this new package type, then a zlib package could be part
of base R, and other packages would have a well defined way to link to it.

Duncan Murdoch