[Rd] X11 device distortion (PR#10666)

marc_schwartz at comcast.net marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Thu Jan 31 17:40:13 CET 2008

Just to follow up, largely in synch with the two replies already, it
sounds like there is a good chance that your two displays (the physical
panels or monitors) are either of two different sizes and/or have two
different resolutions. Somewhat more likely is the latter.

In either case, it is likely that the dpi (dots per inch) setting that
is being picked up by the X server is incorrect or biased by one display
over the other. Hence, when you open the display device on the screen,
the size and aspect ratio of the device is wrong.

For example, on my system, I have an internal 15 inch laptop lcd panel
of 1600x1200 with a dpi of 133. I have an external 20 inch lcd panel
which has the same resolution but at 100 dpi. I happen to use TwinView
with an nVidia card, but have to tweak the xorg.conf settings to get the
displays to look reasonably similar. I actually hard code the 100 dpi
setting rather than allowing the server to get the information from the
monitors. My xdpyinfo is:

$ xdpyinfo | grep dimensions
  dimensions:    3200x1200 pixels (813x305 millimeters)

$ xdpyinfo | grep resolution
  resolution:    100x100 dots per inch

Note that using TwinView, my two displays effectively show as one.

I would suggest that you post to a SUSE or generic Linux forum or
perhaps to a graphics card vendor forum specific to your card for
detailed guidance.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz