[Rd] get ...

Luke Tierney luke at stat.uiowa.edu
Wed Jul 2 17:24:58 CEST 2008

ACCESS TO WHAT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!! What we have now is a way for
a useless internal object that is in any case subject to change to
leak out.  How is that useful, never mind essential?  Exists works, as
it should, ls works, as it should.  In the language, ... arguments in
functions are special, so it is appropriate for variables named
... that are being used in the special context (i.e. have values that
are R_DOTSXP) to behave in a special way, as do variables in
environments that correspond to missing arguments in functions.  The
behavior of assign("...", x, env = e) will not be unaffected for any
valye of x accessible at the R level.

luke

241 Schaeffer Hall                  email:      luke at stat.uiowa.edu