[Rd] Checking package vignettes: WARNING

Arne Henningsen arne.henningsen at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 16 12:40:21 CEST 2008

Hi,

I want to have a "vignette" in one of my R packages. Hence, I added an Sweave
file into the /inst/doc subdirectory of this package. Unfortunately, 'R CMD
check' gives a warning:

[...]
* checking tests ... OK
* checking package vignettes in 'inst/doc' ... WARNING
--- führe texi2dvi auf Vignetten aus
* creating sampleSelection-manual.tex ... OK
* checking sampleSelection-manual.tex using pdflatex ... OK

WARNING: There was 1 warning, see
  /home/suapm095/Documents/Econometrics/R/micEcon/micEcon/sampleSelection.Rcheck/00check.log
for details

Since the line below "WARNING" is in German, I ran 'LC_ALL="C" R CMD check'
to get an English message (which I could use in a Google search). However, the
warning does NOT occur if I run 'R CMD check' in the 'C' locale. I tried a
lot of different things and I figured out that 'führe texi2dvi auf Vignetten
aus' is the translation of 'running texi2dvi on vignettes', but I did not
find the reason for the warning message that occurs if 'R CMD check' is run
in the German locale. If I run Sweave and texi2dvi by hand with both locales,
the only possibly relevant difference I noticed is that Sweave uses straight
single quotation marks in the 'C' locale but (italicized) primes in the
German locale:

'C' locale:
   Signif. codes:  0 '***' 0.001 '**' 0.01 '*' 0.05 '.' 0.1 ' ' 1

German locale:
   Signif. codes:  0 ‘***’ 0.001 ‘**’ 0.01 ‘*’ 0.05 ‘.’ 0.1 ‘ ’ 1

System Information:
R 2.7.1
i486-pc-linux-gnu
Kubuntu 8.04