[Rd] Embedded R, last errormessage, and stack smashing

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Jul 16 15:28:37 CEST 2008

Laurent,

On Jul 16, 2008, at 9:02 AM, Laurent Gautier wrote:

> The only way to overcome the problem I can find is to tweak the
> R_CStackLimit with:
>
> R_CStackLimit = (uintptr_t) -1;
>
> The question I am having now is: what are the implications of doing
> so, that is what are the potential problems ?

The implications are that you are disabling stack checks, i.e. R won't
be able to detect stack overflows.

> The R-extensions manual says: " Stack-checking can be disabled by
> seting R_CStackLimit = (uintptr_t)-1, but it is better to if
> possible set appropriate values. (What these are and how to
> determine them are OS-specific, and the stack size limit may differ
> for secondary threads. If you have a choice of stack size, at least
> 8Mb is recommended.)"
> I am not very sure of how an appropriate value can be determined.

You can have a look at R sources which do this - the basic idea (if no
OS-specific method exists) is to fetch an address of a local variable
which will be on the stack and then add as much space as the size of
the stack is. On some systems there is an API to find the stack of the
be calling R from a specific thread (which is generally a good idea,
though).

> I looked around, and the JRI (Java/R Interface) is just disabling
> stack checking for example.

JRI is quite general and supports different use models - one allows R
to be called from different threads (with appropriate care and
synchronization), so it has no choice but to disable the check because
the stack will change across threads.

Cheers,
Simon