[Rd] Checking package vignettes: WARNING

Arne Henningsen arne.henningsen at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 17 13:42:15 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 16 July 2008 18:28:07, Friedrich Leisch wrote:
>   > On Wednesday 16 July 2008 14:16:05, Bernhard Pfaff wrote:
>   >> I do not know if this matters, but have you used 'results = verbatim'
>   >> in your R code chunk? See page 13 in:
>   >> http://www.statistik.lmu.de/~leisch/Sweave/Sweave-manual.pdf
>   >
>   > Thank you for this hint. I have tried this option, but it seems to have
>   > no effect on the quotation marks. Hence, I still do not know whether
>   > the quotation marks or something else causes the warning.
>
> verbatim is the default, so adding changes nothing if you had no
> results=xxx before.

Thanks for this hint! (I did not have any 'results=xxx' before. Hence, it is
clear why adding 'results = verbatim' had no effect.)

> In whiche locale are you running?

de_DE.UTF-8

> On Debian Linux with de_AT.UTF-8 everything is fine for me.
>
> Of course you also need something like
>
> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
>
> to handle the special characters, but you need that anyway because
> every textual output of R may contain Umlaute ...

Yes, I have this command in the preamble of the Rnw file, but I get the
waning message anyway :-(

I will uploaded the sampleSelection package (version 0.6-1) to
   ftp://cran.r-project.org/incoming
If the CRAN servers run in the 'C' locale, all tests should pass without a
warning and the updated package with the vignette will be available on CRAN
soon. In this case, everybody can download the package and try to figure out
the reason for the warning message. Any hints are welcome!

BTW: It would be great if "R CMD check" could return a more informative
warning message.

Thanks,
Arne

--