[Rd] Snow or alternative MPI packages on Windows

giuseppe1.milicia at hsbcib.com giuseppe1.milicia at hsbcib.com
Thu Jul 17 17:49:11 CEST 2008

:)

Actually it turns out that DeinoMPI & Rmpi & the new version of snow do the
trick.

Jay Emerson suggested NetWorkSpaces which looks quite neat. For the time
being I'll probably stick to snow/Rmpi though.

So it seems that progress has been made!

// Giuseppe

             Jeffrey Horner
             <jeff.horner at vand
             erbilt.edu>                                                To
                                       Giuseppe1 MILICIA/IBEU/HSBC at HSBC
             17/07/2008 16:44                                           cc
             Mail Size: 5648           r-devel at r-project.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [Rd] Snow or alternative MPI
                                       packages on Windows
                                                                    Entity
                                       Investment Banking Europe - IBEU

giuseppe1.milicia at hsbcib.com wrote on 07/16/2008 08:52 AM:
> Guys,
>
> I'm running R on both Windows & Linux. I'm looking at a number of
packages
> for parallel execution. It seems that the most used packages are "snow"
and
> "Rmpi".
>
> snow seems more user friendly, but it doesn't run on windows. I see from
> searching the mailing list that I'm not the first one to try it on
Windows.
> There was a message that kind of shed some hope on the subject, but
nothing
> else.
>
> Rmpi works well on windows (with DeinoMPI) but it's kind of low level, so
> before I embark in writing code similar to snow to have some high level
> constructs I though I'd ask here about other peoples experiences...
>
> Is anyone around here doing parallel R on Windows? If so could you share
> your experience?

I remember working with Jack Dongarra's group back in the late '90's
when Microsoft donated some money, hardware, and software to ensure that
pvm, scalapack, and the like worked on Windows. My particular task was
to port Atlas to Windows and benchmark installs with various compilers
and commercial BLAS libraries. it was a total PITA, dealing with calling
conventions between fortran and C/C++, and DLL hell.

Anyway, the main researcher involved in the parallel Windows work
realized (obviously) the hard problem was remotely connecting to Windows
machines and spawning tasks, so he spent the majority of his time
writing an rsh daemon, and it became kind of a stink because he went on
to commercialize his work, buying the domain name myrshdaemon.com, and
selling it. No one ever knew how much money he made.

Point being, around ten years have passed and including Windows in a
parallel setup is still a problem?!? Sheesh!

Jeff
--
http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/JeffreyHorner

HSBC Bank plc may be solicited in the course of its placement efforts for a
new issue, by investment clients of the firm for whom the Bank as a firm
already provides other services. It may equally decide to allocate to its
own proprietary book or with an associate of HSBC Group. This represents a
potential conflict of interest. HSBC Bank plc has internal arrangements
designed to ensure that the firm would give unbiased and full advice to the
corporate finance client about the valuation and pricing of the offering as
well as internal systems, controls and procedures to identify and manage
conflicts of interest.

HSBC Bank plc
Registered Office: 8 Canada Square, London E14 5HQ, United Kingdom
Registered in England - Number 14259
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT!

This transmission has been issued by a member of the HSBC Group
"HSBC" for the information of the addressee only and should not be
reproduced and/or distributed to any other person. Each page
attached hereto must be read in conjunction with any disclaimer
which forms part of it. Unless otherwise stated, this transmission
is neither an offer nor the solicitation of an offer to sell or
purchase any investment. Its contents are based on information
obtained from sources believed to be reliable but HSBC makes no
representation and accepts no responsibility or liability as to its
completeness or accuracy.