[Rd] confusion about evaluation.

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jul 21 08:51:29 CEST 2008

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008, James Bullard wrote:

> Hi All, I am confused about the following code. I thought that the problem
> stemmed from lazy evaluation and the fact that 'i' is never evaluated within
> the first lapply. However, I am then confused as to why it gets bound to the
> final element of the lapply.

Correct.  'i' in the environments is a promise, and it gets the value at
the time the promise is evaluated from the environment in which the
promise is created.  Since you don't evaluate it until after the lapply,
the environment in which the promise is evaluated has the final value at
that time. BTW, the following variant

x <- vector("list", 4)
for(i in 1:3) x[[i]] <- function() i^2
sapply(1:3, function(i) x[[i]]())

works the same way.

Lazy evaluation works somewhat differently in R and in S -- I've never
seen a comprehensive discussion as to why (nor exactly how it works in
either system, although there is a lot about promises in the 'R Internals'
manual).