[Rd] Clash between 'Cairo' and 'EBImage' packages on Windows

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jul 21 12:29:20 CEST 2008

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, Sklyar, Oleg (London) wrote:

> EBImage is dynamically linked against GTK, which includes cairo
> libraries, so those are installed along with GTK. Cairo seems to be
> statically linking to libcairo.dll.a. I would assume that if it is

That is an import library, so it is actually linked to libcairo-2.dll,
which it ships.

> linked statically it should not get confused with a shared library
> present elsewhere in the path, but it looks like it does. I have no
> solution for that because unlike Cairo I cannot not statically link
> EBImage to GTK as it is not one library that I need, but a bunch of
> those.
>
> On Linux you won't get this problem as it uses the same centrally
> installed Cairo library.
>
> In a way it would be better, if Cairo relied on the gladewin32.sf.net
> which normally provides GTK (and thus cairo libraries) for Windows and
> linked dynamically, but probably to simplify user installations the
> developers wanted to avoid this.

It _is_ using dynamic loading, or there would be no conflict.  From the
names, it looks very like that it is using a DLL from gladewin32.

The real issue looks rather like a versioning problem, that the cairo
libraries installed as part of GTK and used by EBImage are way too old
(cairo_pdf_surface_create was added at cairo 1.2, and cairo is at 1.6.4).
So updating to the current GTK distribution may be all that is needed (and
Henrik could also try replacing your GTK's libcairo-2.dll by that
distributed with Cairo).

> There is not much I can do now about this, but I will follow the thread
> if anybody comes up with an idea to change the code if possible

The Cairo package (which ships DLLs) could rename them, as R itself does
where it builds its own versions.  Or it could link statically (if that
works, which it does not for e.g. package XML).

I don't really understand why this was posted to R-devel: it is not an R
issue.

> Dr Oleg Sklyar
> Technology Group
> Man Investments Ltd