[Rd] Is text(..., adj) upside down? (Or am I?)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 23 10:12:42 CEST 2008

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008, Patrick Burns wrote:

> Basically the only thing in the thread that was clear
> to me was Brian's phrasing.  So I'd suggest basing
> any changes on that.

I'll add some words.  There is one other thing which needs explaining,
what 'bottom' means.  For a character string it means the baseline of the
text, for an expression the bottom of the text box (plotmath) does not
attempt to compute baselines.  This also affects the computation of
vertical centering:

plot(1:5, type="n")
abline(v=2); abline(v=4)
abline(h=1)
text(2,1, "fgh", adj=c(0,0), cex=2)
text(4,1, expression(fgh), adj=c(0,0), cex=2)
abline(h=3)
text(2,3, "fgh", adj=c(0,0.5), cex=2)
text(4,3, expression(fgh), adj=c(0,0.5), cex=2)
abline(h=5)
text(4,5, expression(fgh), adj=c(0,1), cex=2)
text(2,5, "fgh", adj=c(0,1), cex=2)