[Rd] [R] shQuote and cat

Vadim Organovich vogranovich at jumptrading.com
Wed Jul 23 22:46:07 CEST 2008

It is precizely a shell command that I am trying to generate. To be specific let's try to have R 'output' the following shell command: 'echo "\"a\""'. This is is a valid command, at least in bash:
bash-3.2$ echo "\"a\""
"a"

Now in R:
> x <- 'echo "\"a\""'
> cat(x, '\n')
echo ""a""
> cat(shQuote(x), '\n')

Whichever way you do it it is not right. Again I think cat('echo "\"a\""') should be printing *echo "\"a\""* (asterics are not a part of the output)