[Rd] a package installation problem on windows

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jul 29 08:46:13 CEST 2008

Nothing in the documentation says that DLLs created in the source
directory will be installed -- this applies only to pkgname.dll.

We recommend you use R CMD INSTALL [--build], not R CMD build --binary.

It is very rare to need a src/Makefile.win, but it you choose to use one
yo do need to ensure that you do understand the package installation
mechanism.  Being surprised that undocumented things do not work is a sure
sign that you have not studied the mechanism and documentation.