[Rd] R, Macports and C++ streams

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Jul 30 16:46:39 CEST 2008

On Jul 30, 2008, at 9:45 , Ernest Turro wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> R on Macports relies on GCC 4.3 to build packages. I find that
> packages with shared objects that use C++ streams crash R if they're
> compiled using Macports' gcc43, but work fine if compiled in exactly
> the same way using Apple-supplied GCC 4.2. Has anyone here had the
> same issue/know what is causing this problem?

Using compilers from MacPorts and similar suites (Darwin ports, Fink
etc.) is strongly discouraged (and outright not supported by the CRAN
binary) since they have been known to be badly broken in the past and
when whenever tested so far they were incomplete and incompatible. You
have to re-compile R yourself with those tools (and you're entirely on
your own) if you really want to use them. CRAN binaries work only with
Apple's gcc branches, if you want to use anything else, you have to
follow the unix R instructions and compile everything from sources.

Cheers,
Simon