[Rd] C versions of serialize/unserialize in packages

Roger D. Peng rpeng at jhsph.edu
Thu Jul 31 15:35:08 CEST 2008

Are the functions 'R_Unserialize' and 'R_InitFileInPStream' allowed to
be used in R packages?  I guess I'm just not clear on the implications
of this comment in 'Rinternals.h':

/* The connection interface is not yet available to packages.  To
   allow limited use of connection pointers this defines the opaque
   pointer type. */

I have a function in the 'filehash' package that unserializes a bunch
of objects from a file and it seems to run much faster in C than in R.
 But I don't want to release something that uses a non-public
function/interface.

Thanks,
-roger
--