[Rd] R, Macports and C++ streams

Ernest Turro ernest.turro at ic.ac.uk
Thu Jul 31 20:16:33 CEST 2008

On 31 Jul 2008, at 10:29, Kjell Konis wrote:

> Ernest,
>
> Is it possible to provide a reproducible example of your crash?

Yes. R on macports depends on gcc43, which is causing the problems.
The best thing would be to make the port not depend on gcc43, and
instead depend on apple-supplied gcc (if this is possible).
Alternatively, the macports gcc43 build script should be fixed (e.g.
by looking at Apple's script, if available). Reproducible example:

Download and install gcc43 from Macports

cat - > foo.txt
Blah
Blah
^D

cat - > foo.cc
#include <stdio.h>
#include <fstream>
extern "C" {
   void foo() {
     char bar;
     std::ifstream ifs("foo.txt");
     std::ofstream ofs("foo2.txt");
     ifs >> bar;
     ofs << bar;
   }
}
^D

cat - > foo.R
dyn.load("foo.so")
.C("foo")
^D

# Crash:
g++-mp-4.3 -shared -fPIC foo.cc -o foo.so
R --vanilla < foo.R

# Don't crash:
g++-4.2 -shared -fPIC foo.cc -o foo.so
R --vanilla < foo.R