[Rd] prevent `R CMD INSTALL' from reading `.Rprofile'

Joerg van den Hoff j.van_den_hoff at fzd.de
Thu Jun 5 16:43:47 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 08:57:58AM -0400, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2008, at 7:41 AM, Joerg van den Hoff wrote:
>
> >I tripped over the following problem:
> >
> >due  to  (my?) unresolved problems with cairo graphics under
> >MacOS (graphic window blocks unrecoverably)  I  modified  my
> >`.Rprofile'      to  issue `X11(type =  "Xlib")`   on each R
> >startup (as a workaround to automatic opening of  a  `cairo'
> >device when issuing a plotting command).
> >

> That is not a good work-around (you are always forcing a device to
> open). You should consider using

yes, I know...

> grDevices::X11.options(type="Xlib")
> instead.

did'nt  know  this  function. this is of course much better.
thanks a lot!

as  an  aside: after pestering the r-mac list two times with
my cairo problem (blocking) I won't do it a third time  ;-).
nevertheless  I'd  like  to  ask  directly:  is  this  issue
recognized as "real" (at least  1-2  people  apart  from  me
reported  it)?   is their any idea it what direction I could
search for the reason (concering configuration of  R  and/or
my machine)?

regards,

joerg