[Rd] R CMD CHECK WARNING inappropriate for S4 method?

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Mon Jun 9 20:35:46 CEST 2008

This one is subtle, and has mostly to do with namespace and imports,
only secondarily to do with methods.  Bear with a fairly long story.

The description below is for a simple package P1 that imitates the
pattern of imports in GSEABase.

First, what's generating the warning?  The function undoc() in the tools
package looks for all the methods defined in the current package, for
"union" in this case.  In r-devel, that uses the function findMethods().

What it gets is:
 > names(findMethods("union", where = 2))
[1] "ANY#ANY"             "graph#graph"         "testClass#testClass"

(where "testClass" is the new class that P1 is adding.)

What it "normally" gets in these circumstances is:
 > names(findMethods("union", where = 2))
[1] "testClass#testClass"

In the first case, undoc() naturally assumes you created all the methods
and wants you to document them.

The question, then, is why are you getting the extra methods?

The answer, to the extent I understand it, is that P1 (and GSEABase)
used the
  Imports:graph
directive in the DESCRIPTION file, instead of explicitly doing the
import() commands in the NAMESPACE file.  Just what this does
differently  I'm not sure, but the effect is that the generic version of
union() in the "graph" package is no longer in the imports environment
for package P1:

 > n1 = asNamespace("P1")
 > objects(parent.env(n1), all=TRUE, pattern="union")
character(0)

The result is that P1 owns the union() generic and all its methods.  In
particular, a generic function "union" is created in P1.

The alternative way to specify the imports is to use the NAMESPACE file,
say with:

import(graph)

Package "graph" must be added to the Depends: line of the DESCRIPTION
file, instead of being in the Imports: line.  (Otherwise, you still get
the new generic, owning all the methods.)

Now the generic version of union() is in the imports environment for P1;
the setMethod() call in P1 does not create a new generic.  We can see
this by:
 > n1 = asNamespace("P1")
 > objects(parent.env(n1), all=TRUE, pattern="union")
[1] ".__M__union:base" ".__T__union:base" "union"

One final catch: In this version, you do need to ensure that the user's
call to union() sees the generic version at run time, and not the
nongeneric version in base.  Either require(graph) or, in P1's NAMESPACE:

export(union)

Perhaps needless to say, this is all a bit more subtle than one would like.

John