[Rd] example() and "ask"

Gavin Simpson gavin.simpson at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Jun 18 14:28:20 CEST 2008

Dear list,

Is it intentional that example() opens a new device and leaves it in a
mode where it asks (prompts) the user to Press return to see the next
plot for *all* subsequent plots on that device.

For example; with an already opened device, example() works as I would
expect:

> par("ask")
[1] FALSE
> example(lm)
.... OUTPUT CLIPPED ....
lm> plot(lm.D9, las = 1)      # Residuals, Fitted, ...
Hit <Return> to see next plot:

lm> par(opar)

lm> ## model frame :
lm> stopifnot(identical(lm(weight ~ group, method = "model.frame"),
lm+                     model.frame(lm.D9)))
> plot(1:10)

So with an already opened device, plots /within/ example prompt the user
(by default) but at the end of the example, we return to default and we
are not prompted to display subsequent plots on that device (par("ask)
== FALSE)

However, if example opens a device (i.e. example is the first plotting
function called in a session), then the device remains in "prompt" mode:

> # continue example from above, so close the device
> dev.off()
null device
          1
> example(lm) # will open device when required
.... output suppressed ....
lm> plot(lm.D9, las = 1)      # Residuals, Fitted, ...
Hit <Return> to see next plot:

lm> par(opar)

lm> ## model frame :
lm> stopifnot(identical(lm(weight ~ group, method = "model.frame"),
lm+                     model.frame(lm.D9)))
> par("ask")
[1] TRUE
> plot(1:10)
Hit <Return> to see next plot:

Device remains in "prompt" mode.

I would have expected example() to clean up and return par("ask") to
what it was before example() was called in the case where it opens it's
own device, just as it does if called with an already open and active
device.

If this is intentional, it doesn't strike me as being intuitive or user
friendly. Is there scope and a will to change this behaviour?

This is with R 2.7.1RC and R 2.8.0 to be:

> version
               _
platform       x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
arch           x86_64
os             linux-gnu
system         x86_64, linux-gnu
status         RC
major          2
minor          7.1
year           2008
month          06
day            16
svn rev        45948
language       R
version.string R version 2.7.1 RC (2008-06-16 r45948)

               _
platform       x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
arch           x86_64
os             linux-gnu
system         x86_64, linux-gnu
status         Under development (unstable)
major          2
minor          8.0
year           2008
month          06
day            18
svn rev        45948
language       R
version.string R version 2.8.0 Under development (unstable) (2008-06-18 r45948)

Many thanks,

 Dr. Gavin Simpson             [t] +44 (0)20 7679 0522
 ECRC, UCL Geography,          [f] +44 (0)20 7679 0565
 Pearson Building,             [e] gavin.simpsonATNOSPAMucl.ac.uk
 Gower Street, London          [w] http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucfagls/
 UK. WC1E 6BT.                 [w] http://www.freshwaters.org.uk