[Rd] glm poisson, method='ML' (PR#10985)

ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 18 11:30:14 CET 2008

Please read the documentation for glm:

   method: the method to be used in fitting the model. The default
           method '"glm.fit"' uses iteratively reweighted least squares
           (IWLS).  The only current alternative is '"model.frame"'
           which returns the model frame and does no fitting.

so the error message is correctly reporting user error.

For a Poisson (and for a binomial), the default fitting method computes
the MLEs.

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, claire.saraux at gmail.com wrote:

> Full_Name: saraux
> Version: 2.6.1
> OS: Windows vista
> Submission from: (NULL) (193.157.180.37)
>

> I would like to compute a glm with a distribution of poisson, using a maximum of
> likelihood method. But it seems not to work with a distribution of poisson. The
> same code with another distrubution (binomial for example) works.

But your code is not reproducible.  Similar code does not work for me

> library(MASS)
> example(birthwt)
> glm(low ~ ., binomial, bwt, method="ML")
Error in switch(method, model.frame = return(mf), glm.fit = 1,
stop("invalid 'method': ",  :
   invalid 'method': ML