[Rd] 'merge' function: behavior w.r.t. NAs in the key column

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 19 13:38:11 CET 2008

merge() in R behaves in exactly the same way as match() (which it uses),
and not as Mr Anders claims is 'the convention'.  (Note that == and match
are not the same concept, nor is 'identical'.)

This was discussed at length for match() some years ago (AFAIR when NA
xharacter strings were formalized), and documented.  Hopefully merge() in
S-PLUS does the same as its match().

I'll add an explicit link to help those who don't believe that 'match' is
a documented concept.