[Rd] Installation error message with 2.6.2-win32 (PR#11007)

kzembowe at jhuccp.org kzembowe at jhuccp.org
Thu Mar 20 20:15:08 CET 2008

Full_Name: Kevin Zembower
Version: 2.6.2
OS: Windows XP Pro, ver 2002 SP2
Submission from: (NULL) (162.129.44.50)

Noticed the following errors and artifacts when trying to install R
2.6.2-win32.exe on my Windows XP Pro version 2002 Service Pack 2 workstation. I
first attempted to install it as the 'Administrator'. More than once, I got the
message, "Internal Error: Fialed to expand shell folder constant 'userdocs'".
Note that this is a networked PC at my work. I am not certain that the
Administrator has a home directory or that it is accessible. I noticed that
there was no entry for R itself in the Start->Programs->R folder, just ones for
Help and Uninstall.

Next, I tried installing the same file as a normal user on my system. I turned
off all registry entries, as I thought this was the problem the normal user
failed to install R the last time I tried this. This time, I got the error
"Setup was unable to create the directory "Y:\Start Menu\Programs\R" Error 5:
Access is denied." However, it did create Quick Launch and Desktop icons, that
seem to work correctly. R 2.6.2 seems to run correctly. As the error message
indicates, however, there is still no R entry itself in Start->Programs->R.

Please let me know if I can provide more information.

-Kevin Zembower