[Rd] problem with 'install.packages'

Tony Plate tplate at acm.org
Tue Mar 25 22:08:01 CET 2008

I'm also interested in a solution to this problem of how to update R
packages without disturbing sessions that may be using them.

For S-PLUS I've been successfully using a system that always creates a
new directory for an update of a library, eg., there could be multiple
directories mylib.c0, mylib.c1, mylib.c2, etc.  A single file contains
the current mapping with lines like "mylib: mylib.c2".  When a new
library is published, the mapping file is updated.  When a library is
attached, the custom "attach" function consults the mapping file to find
the latest version.  This means that different sessions could have
different versions of the library attached depending on when they
attached it, and no in-use library will be overwritten.  Obsolete unused
version of libraries can be cleaned out periodically.

I've been wondering whether "versioned installs" of packages could be
used to achieve the same goals in R, e.g., with a system to
automatically bump the third number in the version on each re-install.
Could this work?  I read that "versioned installs" are not widely used
and should be used with caution, and notes like "NB: versioned installs
are not installs of a named package." in ?install.packages make me wary.

-- Tony Plate