[Rd] Incorrect behavior in 64-bit version (PR#11034)

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Mar 25 23:09:47 CET 2008

lodewijk.bonebakker at sun.com wrote:
> Full_Name: Lodewijk Bonebakker
> Version: v2.6.2
> OS: Solaris, x86, snv_80
> Submission from: (NULL) (192.18.43.225)
>

> when I build R in 32-bit mode on my 64-bit OS, R works as expected:
>
> R version 2.6.2 (2008-02-08)
> Type 'q()' to quit R.
>

>> m <- matrix(ncol=2,c(1:6))

>      [,1] [,2]
> [1,]    1    4
> [2,]    2    5
> [3,]    3    6
>
>> n <- log10(m)
>>
>           [,1]      [,2]
> [1,] 0.0000000 0.6020600
> [2,] 0.3010300 0.6989700
> [3,] 0.4771213 0.7781513
>

> On a 64-bit build, uisng *only* the "-m64" to instruct the sun compilers to
> generate a 64 bit binary, the following happens (there are no compilation
> errors)
>

> R version 2.6.2 (2008-02-08)
> Type 'q()' to quit R.
>

>>  m <- matrix(ncol=2,c(1:6))
>>
>      [,1] [,2]
> [1,]    1    4
> [2,]    2    5
> [3,]    3    6
>
>> n <- log10(m)
>>
> Warning message:
> In log(1:6, 10) : NaNs produced

>             [,1] [,2]
> [1,]   0.1428914    0
> [2,]  -1.1834403    0
> [3,]         NaN    0

There is not sufficient information to go on here (with a sun.com
address you could be expected to know better). R works fine as a 64 bit
program on several platforms, as far as I know including Solaris, so the
issue has to be specific to your compiler and library setup.

This has all the hallmarks of a math header file error (either args or
return value declared of the wrong type), or a linker issue (log not
really log). I surely hope it fails "make check"!

So, exactly what did you do, which compiler and build tools and which
version?
Did you read the http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html,
including Appendix C?
(Please keep R-bugs in the recipient list. I'm not the resident expert.)