[Rd] R 64 on Intel Mac check problem

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 25 23:39:01 CET 2008

I saw this yesterday, on my newly reinstalled iMac (10.5.2), with the
Xcode compiler + gfortran from R 2.6.2.

It looks very like a compiler bug: if I insert a printf statement in
stem.c I get the correct answer, and if I compile src/appl/stem.c without
optimization I get the correct answer.

So, I suggest lowering the optimization level, but the worry always is
that if you have one piece of code miscompiled there may be others.