[Rd] R 64 on Intel Mac check problem

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 26 08:39:31 CET 2008

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Georgios Marentakis wrote:

> many thanks for the response.
> I tried compiling without optimization and it still gives me the same
> problem.
> Would you think it is something related to the package? Could it be that I
> should use another version  of the particular package than the one included?
> Or could it be something with the way the results are compared?
> Would you suggest I can trust this version of R for performing the
> statistical analysis I am after?

Note that your compiler is not the same as mine (from Xcode 3.0).  If it
fails without optimization, I would not trust it. I don't know though
which it is: http://cran.stat.sfu.ca/with is not a valid URL, and I don't
know which instructions you followed (assuming they are somewhere on
CRAN).

Simon Urbanek is making available quad-arch experimental builds of
R-devel, and I suggest you try one of those.  (I haven't, but then I have
other, reliable, 64-bit platforms and am only doing this to test changes
to R.)

> many thanks,
> georgios
>

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 6:39 PM, Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> I saw this yesterday, on my newly reinstalled iMac (10.5.2), with the
>> Xcode compiler + gfortran from R 2.6.2.
>>
>> It looks very like a compiler bug: if I insert a printf statement in
>> stem.c I get the correct answer, and if I compile src/appl/stem.c without
>> optimization I get the correct answer.
>>
>> So, I suggest lowering the optimization level, but the worry always is
>> that if you have one piece of code miscompiled there may be others.
>>
>> On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Georgios Marentakis wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all, I have been following the instructions on
>>> http://cran.stat.sfu.ca/with the intention to install R with 64 bits
>>> support on an 8 core Intel Mac
>>> with 6 GB of memory. I am doing this so I can run an analysis that
>> requires
>>> 1.6 gB of memory allocation and would not run on 32 bit version of R as
>>> was advised and experienced.
>>> I have installed gcc 4.2 and gfortran 4.2 from the available sources on
>> the
>>> web page and am using the copy and paste guide on the page.
>>>
>>> Now everything seems to be going fine until the point where the R
>> packages
>>> are tested. In particular when the regression tests are run I get the
>>> following.
>>>
>>> running regression tests
>>> running code in 'reg-tests-1.R' ...\c
>>> OK
>>> running code in 'reg-tests-2.R' ...\c
>>> OK
>>> comparing 'reg-tests-2.Rout' to './reg-tests-2.Rout.save' ...\c
>>> 3756c3756
>>> <   The decimal point is 1 digit(s) to the right of the |
>>> ---
>>> 3762c3762
>>> <   The decimal point is 1 digit(s) to the right of the |
>>> ---
>>> 3764c3764
>>> <   0 | 1111111111
>>> ---