[Rd] Error in building ROracle in Windows with R 2.6.2 and Oracle 10g.

Ajay DAS Ajay.DAS at na.biomerieux.com
Thu May 1 18:11:33 CEST 2008

Hi Uwe,

Thanks for your response !

This is what the document (INSTALL file in ROracle src package that I
downloaded) says:

Windows:

  To compile under windows see the Makefile.win in the 'src' directory
  of the ROracle package.  You'll need the Developer's Package from the
  Oracle's client software and Microsoft Visual C++.

  To install the Windows binary, you'll need the Oracle runtime libraries
  (and make sure $ORACLE_HOME/bin is in your PATH).

  NOTE: You may override the Oracle libraries and/or library directories
  using the PKG_CPPFLAGS and/or PKG_LIBS variables (for details see
  "Writing R Extensions").

Microsoft Visual C++ does not have make. It has NMAKE which I believe works
like make. So which tool should I use to run the makefile in Windows ?

Is anyone using ROracle for windows for Oracle 10g ?

Thanks,
Ajay.

                      Uwe Ligges
                      <ligges at statistik.tu-d        To:       Ajay DAS <Ajay.DAS at na.biomerieux.com>
                      ortmund.de>                   cc:       r-devel at r-project.org
                                                    Subject:  Re: [Rd] Error in building ROracle in Windows with R 2.6.2 and Oracle 10g.
                      05/01/2008 10:37 AM

Ajay DAS wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to use ROracle to communicate with Oracle from R program in
windows
> environment. I am using Oracle 10g, R 2.6.2.  I found a pre-compiled
binary
> for ROracle for Oracle version 9.2. When I am trying to use it with
Oracle
> 10g I get the following error:
>
> con <- dbConnect(drv, "user/passwd at dbname");
>
> Error in function (classes, fdef, mtable)  :
>   unable to find an inherited method for function "dbConnect", for
> signature "OraDriver"
>
> I then decided to compile ROracle myself.  I downloaded ROracle src from
> below:
>
>       http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/ROracle/index.html
>
> When I was following the build instructions to run the makefile
> Makefile.win I got the following error:
>
> NMAKE : fatal error U1073: don't know how to make
> 'c:\\PROGRA~1\\R\\R-2.6.2\\src\\gnuwin32\\Rdll.lib'

Since the error message tells about "NAMKE", it seems you are not using
the recommended compiler and tool collection as suggested in the manual
R Installation and Administration...

Uwe Ligges

> I did not see Rdll.lib anywhere. Do I need to have the src for R as well
?
> Can anyone provide me a detailed instruction for building ROracle or is
> there a place where I can get a pre compiled binary for Oracle 10g ?
>
> I had sent an email to the maintainer of the package but have not got any
> response.
>
> Thanks,
> Ajay.

> AVIS : Ce courrier et ses pieces jointes sont destines a leur seul
destinataire et peuvent contenir des informations confidentielles
appartenant a bioMerieux. Si vous n'etes pas destinataire, vous etes
informe que toute lecture, divulgation, ou reproduction de ce message et
des pieces jointes est strictement interdite. Si vous avez recu ce message
par erreur merci d'en prevenir l'expediteur et de le detruire, ainsi que
ses pieces jointes.

> NOTICE: This message and attachments are intended only for the use of
their addressee and may contain confidential information belonging to
bioMerieux. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any reading, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message,
or any attachment, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
message in error, please notify the original sender immediately and delete
this message, along with any attachments.