[Rd] Out of bounds negative index

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Fri May 2 21:23:47 CEST 2008

Hi,

 From the R Language Definition, Section 3.4.1:

"If i is positive and exceeds length(x) then the corresponding
selection is NA. A negative out of bounds value for i causes an error."

(This is also mentioned in S Programming, footnote of page 24.)

Can someone please provide an example triggering the error? Looking in
src/main/subscript.c I could not find exception handling for |i| >
length(x), unless the negative subscript is mixed with NAs. In other
cases, out of bounds negative indexes just seem silently ignored.

Did I missed or misinterpreted something, here?

Thanks in advance

---
   Vincent Goulet, Associate Professor
   École d'actuariat