[Rd] OS_type

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon May 5 14:46:02 CEST 2008

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 11:56:47AM +0100, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> We've now implemented an OS_type field in a package's DESCRIPTION file,
> which if set has to match .Platform$OS.type (possible values "unix" and
> "windows").  CRAN has set up some overrides and added this field to
> packages known to be Unix-only or Windows-only, but authors should do so
> for themselves in future.
>
> Unsuitable packages will not be offered by available.packages(), will not
> be installed by R CMD INSTALL, and R CMD check will select --no-install.
>
> This happens in R-devel and R-patched, and is intended to simplify
> automated installation and checking.

Good idea.

Just yesterday, someone was just wondering on the r-sig-finance list
why his Linux box was bringing in RBloomberg and thusly RDCOMClient
when retrieving the default task view set for Finance.  As maintainer
of the task view, I had no good answer other than the default of
howling at Achim and calling it a ctv feature.

But yes, it really was a design issue and this should fix it. So thanks.

Dirk