[Rd] bug on compilation (PR#11395)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu May 8 15:42:18 CEST 2008

Daniel,

You are abusing the wrong list. You have a basic R question, or
rather,  a basic Unix/Ubuntu/Debian question.  Use r-help or even
r-sig-debian, please.

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 07:15:32PM +0200, toffolidan at yahoo.com.br wrote:
> Dear Mr.
>
> Beginning to work on Linux.
>
> I am trying to install R into Ubuntu Gustsy. I installed version 2.5.1 and worked fine. But then I tried to upgrade by adding these lines to sources.list:
>
> deb http://cran.fiocruz.br/bin/linux/debian etch-cran/
> deb http://cran.fiocruz.br/bin/linux/ubuntu gutsy/

Either you run Ubuntu, or you run Debian, but you are very unlikely to
run both. As you say you run Ubuntu, why do think adding Debian helps?
It does not.

> I introduced the authorization keys (as recommended) and the files
> were downloaded. But then I tried to upgrade but some have problems on
> dependencies. What I did was to erase R folder installed on my
> /usr/lib

Jeebus, why?  All you do that way is to break your system!  Let the
package manager handle removal for you.

> and went to synaptic and uninstall all the cran files. The
> idea was to start over again.
>
> But I try to install by apt and appears:
>
> Os pacotes a seguir têm dependências desencontradas:
>   r-base: Depende: r-base-core (>= 2.7.0-1gutsy0) mas 2.5.1-1 está para ser instalado
>   r-recommended: Depende: r-base-core (>= 2.7.0-1gutsy0) mas 2.5.1-1 está para ser instalado
>                  Depende: r-cran-boot (>= 1.2.19) mas não vai ser instalado
>                  Depende: r-cran-cluster (>= 1.9.6-2) mas não vai ser instalado
>                  Depende: r-cran-foreign (>= 0.7-2) mas não vai ser instalado
>                  Depende: r-cran-kernsmooth (>= 2.2.14) mas não vai ser instalado
>                  Depende: r-cran-lattice (>= 0.10.11) mas não vai ser instalado
>                  Depende: r-cran-mgcv (>= 1.1.5) mas não vai ser instalado
>                  Depende: r-cran-nlme (>= 3.1.52) mas não vai ser instalado
>                  Depende: r-cran-rpart (>= 3.1.20) mas não vai ser instalado
>                  Depende: r-cran-survival (>= 2.13.2-1) mas não vai ser instalado
>                  Depende: r-cran-vr (>= 7.2.8) mas não vai ser instalado
>                  Depende: r-cran-codetools mas não vai ser instalado
> E: Pacotes quebrados

I cannot read your native language but it looks like a normal warning.
Instead of 'apt-get install ...' you could just have tried 'apt-get
dist-upgrade' and it should have found the new packages and upgraded
them for you. That works for many people.

> I dowloaded the R-2.7.0 and tried to compile with the command ./configure. But  what appeared at the end was (after a bunch of other things):
>
> configure: error: --with-readline=yes (default) and headers/libs are not available
>
> What should I do?

$ sudo apt-get install r-base-dev

but I fear you will have other problems.  Maybe you should start at
the library or bookshop with a friendly book on Linux and Ubuntu.

Good luck,  Dirk