[Rd] Advice on compiling R using Intel Compilers? Btw: -c99 is deprecated

Joris @ VU jsnel at few.vu.nl
Mon May 12 02:05:06 CEST 2008

I'm compiling the latest stable build (2.7.0) from source using the
Intel Compilers, following the hints in the R-admin guide.

I'm using OpenSUSE 10.3 on a Intel Q6600 system. First let me explain
a few things I did:
1: Download & Install all the Intel Compilers (as well as the Intel
Math Kernel Library) (All defaults)

2: Set up my environment variables in profile.d, using the handy
scripts found here:
https://lists.sdsc.edu/pipermail/npaci-rocks-discussion/2005-November/015012.html
(although I added the icpc variable myself).

3: Set up config.site as follows (mostly taken from the guide):
CC=icc
CFLAGS="-g -O3 -wd188 -ip"
CPPFLAGS="-no-gcc"
F77=ifort
FLAGS="-g -O3"
CXX=icpc
CXXFLAGS="-g -O3"
FC=ifort
FCFLAGS="-g -O3 -mp"
ICC_LIBS=/opt/intel/cce/10.1.015/lib/
IFC_LIBS=/opt/intel/fce/10.1.015/lib/
LDFLAGS="-L$ICC_LIBS -L$IFC_LIBS -L/usr/local/lib64"
SHLIB_CXXLD=icpc
SHLIB_LDFLAGS="-shared"
#SHLIB_CXXLDFLAGS=-G -lCstd

4: ./configure --enable-R-shlib
- first time it broke here since I had no flags set for SHLIB_LDFLAGS,
so just put it at -shared for lack of a brighter idea ... seems to
work (with only a warming about SHLIB_CXXLDFLAGS, hence the comment).

5: make
Now here I get 10 somewhat thousand messages (pun!) like this:
icc: command line remark #10010: option '-c99' is deprecated and will
be removed in a future release. See '-help deprecated'

But it compiled, and make check seemed to have worked.

My question are now:

1) is it possible to change -c99 to -std=c99 in order to skip the 10
thousand warning messages?
2) Did I setup my config.site right for my system (assuming I want to
use Intel's MKL using Shared-BLAS), is it suboptimal or plain wrong?
And how can I easily test this?

Thank you in advance,

Joris