[Rd] k means

cgenolin at u-paris10.fr cgenolin at u-paris10.fr
Mon May 12 19:24:55 CEST 2008

Hi the devel list,

I am using K means with a non standard distance. As far as I see, the
function kmeans is able to deal with 4 differents algorithm, but not
with a user define distance.

In addition, kmeans is not able to deal with missing value whereas
there is several solution that k-means can use to deal with them ; one
is using a distance that takes the missing value in account, like a
distance with Gower adjustement (which is the regular distance dist()
used in R).

So is it possible to adapt kmeans to let the user gives an argument
'distance to use'?

Christophe