[Rd] basename/dirname produce incorrect results

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu May 15 19:32:36 CEST 2008

I'm sorry, but that example make no sense to me -- you need to mark the
encoding (and don't send HTML that will get stripped).

This is presumably Windows, given the name.

On Thu, 15 May 2008, ronggui wrote:

> The incorrect result incurs when the file path contains Chinese character.
> It seems that dirname/basename action on unit of byte instead of char, so
> the result in the following example is half of what is expected.

No, it works in widechars, that is UCS-2.

I have a suspicion of what the problem is (it is related to attempts to
handle embedded nuls), so please try tomorrow's R-patched to see if I have
fixed it.  If that does not work, we need a reproducible example, and that
means a message in a known encoding. (One way to do so is to attach a
plain text message, and tell us in the body of the message the encoding
you used.)