[Rd] var/sd and NAs in R2.7.0

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri May 16 17:37:19 CEST 2008

Robert,

this was discussed before:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2007-December/047594.html

and it *is* mentioned in NEWS:

     o   co[rv](use = "complete.obs") now always gives an error if there
         are no complete cases: they used to give NA if
         method = "pearson" but an error for the other two methods.
         (Note that this is pretty arbitrary, but zero-length vectors
         always give an error so it is at least consistent.)

         cor(use="pair") used to give diagonal 1 even if the variable
         was completely missing for the rank methods but NA for the
         Pearson method: it now gives NA in all cases.

         cor(use="pair") for the rank methods gave a matrix result with
         dimensions > 0 even if one of the inputs had 0 columns.

[sd(..,na.rm=TRUE) -> cov(..,use="complete.obs")]

Cheers,
Simon