[Rd] \S4method in combination with "[" and "[<-"

Robin Hankin r.hankin at noc.soton.ac.uk
Wed May 21 10:40:39 CEST 2008

Hello Matthias

I too struggled with this for a long long time.

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but
Brobdingnag_1.1-2.tar.gz is clean under R-2.7.0,
and this package includes S4 methods for extract/replace.

Extract.Rd in the package doesn't use \S4method; also, I
couldn't figure out how to include a "usage" section
without R CMD check throwing a wobbly.

Extract.Rd is not ideal, but
seems to work in practice: the user types ?"[.brob"
and gets some support, but it would have been better
to have an explicit usage section too.

best wishes

rksh