[Rd] feature request for M$-Windows install (PR#11499)

rpvoland at facstaff.wisc.edu rpvoland at facstaff.wisc.edu
Thu May 22 17:55:08 CEST 2008

# R for Windows will not send your bug report automatically.
# Please copy the bug report (after finishing it) to
# your favorite email program and send it to
#
#       r-bugs at r-project.org
#

R versions R-2.6.2 and R-2.7.0 for M$-Windows no longer allow me to
install as administrator (on my account) so the users can run R on their
own accounts which lack install privileges.

I would like to install directly on their computer logged in with
administrator privileges.  Then, I would like the users to be able to
run R under their own logons without having to give them install
privileges.  It may be that they cannot now run R even with install
privileges since my installing R sets up the default start locations.

This problem does not exist with R-2.6.1.  I see the problem with
R-2.6.2 and R-2.7.0.

People who run computer labs may have the same problem because it is
caused by installation under one login and use under a different login.

1) can you offer an install option "make available to all users of this
computer" ?

2) can you specify in the M$-Windows FAQ specific instructions for how
to alter the item in the start menu for each new user?  I see some hints
already, but I would be grateful for more specific instructions.  Yet,
an install option would make this a lot easier because it is only an
issue to set it up once after installing R or updating R to a new version.

--please do not edit the information below--

Version:
  platform = i386-pc-mingw32
  arch = i386
  os = mingw32
  system = i386, mingw32
  status =
  major = 2
  minor = 7.0
  year = 2008
  month = 04
  day = 22
  svn rev = 45424
  language = R
  version.string = R version 2.7.0 (2008-04-22)

Windows XP (build 2600) Service Pack 2

Locale:
LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_United
States.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_United
States.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

Search Path:
  .GlobalEnv, package:stats, package:graphics, package:grDevices,
package:utils, package:datasets, package:methods, Autoloads, package:base

--
Rick Voland
rpvoland at facstaff.wisc.edu