[Rd] feature request for M$-Windows install (PR#11499)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu May 22 21:15:27 CEST 2008

On 5/22/2008 11:55 AM, rpvoland at facstaff.wisc.edu wrote:
> # R for Windows will not send your bug report automatically.
> # Please copy the bug report (after finishing it) to
> # your favorite email program and send it to
> #
> #       r-bugs at r-project.org
> #
> ######################################################
>

> R versions R-2.6.2 and R-2.7.0 for M$-Windows no longer allow me to
> install as administrator (on my account) so the users can run R on their
> own accounts which lack install privileges.
>
> I would like to install directly on their computer logged in with
> administrator privileges.  Then, I would like the users to be able to
> run R under their own logons without having to give them install
> privileges.  It may be that they cannot now run R even with install
> privileges since my installing R sets up the default start locations.
>
> This problem does not exist with R-2.6.1.  I see the problem with
> R-2.6.2 and R-2.7.0.
>
> People who run computer labs may have the same problem because it is
> caused by installation under one login and use under a different login.

Okay, I just tried this and had no problem installing it for all users.
  You'll need to give more details about what you did and the evidence
that it wasn't working for you:

Did it set entries in the registry in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\R-core\R?  That's a sign that it was doing
an administrator install.

Did you get the message

You should be logged in as an administrator when installing R

Note:  A full R installation requires administrative privileges, and it
appears that those are not available.  If you continue with this
installation, you will not be able to install DCOM support nor associate
R with .RData files.  Installation must be made to a directory where you
have write permission.

That's a sign that it didn't detect admin privileges when you ran the
installer.

Duncan Murdoch