[Rd] feature request for M$-Windows install (PR#11499)

Rick Voland rpvoland at facstaff.wisc.edu
Fri May 23 16:43:43 CEST 2008

Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> After some offline followups, I'm pretty sure the issue here is with the
> "Start in" directory that the installer puts in the shortcut.
> Unfortunately, as far as I can determine, there is no way to tell
> Windows to set the working directory to the user's personal directory
> (My Documents, typically).  The closest we could get is %USERPROFILE%,
> which is the parent of My Documents.  (My Documents is not always named
> that, so %USERPROFILE%\My Documents is not safe.)
>
> We currently set the shortcut to the My Documents directory of the
> person who performs the install, so the shortcut that gets created will
> only work for them.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing suggestions for what to do here.  We could
> My Documents, but that removes flexibility for people who were actually
> making use of that entry.
>
> Duncan Murdoch

I tried two options:  %USERPROFILE% and %USERNAME%

Just as reminder, here is where it currently points (identical for all
users).

Start in:   "C:\Documents and Settings\voland.CAREDS\My Documents"

Start in:   "C:\Documents and Settings\%USERPROFILE%\My Documents"

on this system points to our H: network (home drive)

I still need to have the user try to start R with this configuration.

Start in:   "C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\My Documents"

on this system points to

"C:\Documents and Settings\voland\My Documents"
(logged in as me)

and the user still gets the error message when trying to start R (logged
in as the user)

I would be content with some option in a custom install.  I do not need
to allow different configurations for each user.  I prefer that the user
be without install permissions most of the time.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Rick Voland
rpvoland at facstaff.wisc.edu
--