[Rd] Double HTML encoding in R Bug Tracking Submission form (PR#11517)

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon May 26 08:48:37 CEST 2008

mwtoews at sfu.ca wrote:
> The "New Bug Report" form available from http://bugs.r-project.org/
> appears to double encode the HTML of the "body" text area of the form.
>
> This behaviour can be seen in submission ID # 11515, where (as an
> example) "Δ" is converted to "Δ" in the browser view or
> "Δ" in the HTML source code. Conversion to "Δ" in the HTML
> source is sufficient to render "Δ" in the browser output.

Well, the repository handles emails, and the report form sends mail to
the bug repository.

The report form sends HTML codes without any indication that it is doing
so, so the codes get rendered in the browser view. This latter part is
actually correct behaviour since the alternative is to mangle all
ampersands. So the main bug is that the report form is not mail-encoding
the contents if non-ASCII.

*However*, even with properly encoded mails, the browser view will not
interpret the encoding, which is particularly annoying with
quoted-printable (which uses the equal sign as an escape character and
changes = to =3D). Also, see what happens with my signature which has a
UTF-8 character inside.

All in all, the whole mess indicates that the bug repository software is
dying. It has long since been abandoned by its original author and it
makes no sense for the R Core Team to make major changes to its
internals. We've been wanting to move to something more mainstream for
quite a while, but it takes some effort to find out how to move all the
old pending and resolved reports across.