[Rd] make.packages.html

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue May 27 09:00:29 CEST 2008

On Mon, 26 May 2008, Jonathan Baron wrote:

> It used to be that, whenever I added or updated a new package, the
> file /usr/lib/R/doc/html/packages.html would be updated (on Linux).
> Now I find that this does not happen anymore.

It does happen, but only if you install a package to the .Library
directory.  That file is only intended as a listing of the main library,
not other libraries (as which are in the library path is
session-specific).  As NEWS for R 2.6.0 says

     o	install.packages() on a Unix-alike now updates
 	doc/html/packages.html only if packages are installed to
 	.Library (by that exact name).

> So I found this function make.packages.html, which seems to do what I
> think should be done automatically.  But it puts its output in a file in
> /tmp/...,

It is a helper for help.start(), which sets up details of the current
packages in the session temporary directory.  Please do consult its help
file.

The function used to update doc/html/packages.html is
utils:::link.html.help(), which is a wrapper for
tools:::unix.packages.html.

> which I then have to move, in an extra step, to where it should be.  I
> don't understand why this happens.  I think that the old behavior was
> better.

It caused a lot of needless updating.

> I have two reasons for this.  First, my R page (finzi.psych.upenn.edu)
> has a list of all packages.  As it happens, since this change has
> occurred, it has been out of date, until today.  Second, for my own
> use, I have a Firefox bookmark to
> file:/usr/lib/R/doc/html/packages.html, which was also out of date.

Let's hope you have a vaiid file:// URL ....

> I don't subscribe to r-devel, so, in case this gets posted, please use
> group reply.

What we don't know is where you are installing your packages.  If it is to
the main library, the behaviour should be unchanged (and I have just
tested it and it works for me).  If it is to another library, the
intention never was to list packages in other libraries.

[Note that all this applies to Unix-alikes: Windows does not have symbolic
links (OK, some filesystems on some versions have a very limited form) and
R does things differently there.]

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk