[Rd] Cross-compilers for 2.7.0

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu May 29 11:26:28 CEST 2008

On Wed, 28 May 2008, Iago Mosqueira wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Am I right in thinking the cross-compilations tools, kindly maintained
> by Prof Ripley, are still waiting to be updated for 2.7.0?

What is unclear about

   `The preferred build environment is to use gcc 4.2.1: this can easily be
    built from the sources as a cross-compiler, but the MinGW-specific
    patches are not yet stable (and not needed to build R).

    You will need suitable cross-compilers installed and in your path.
    We do not at present distribute suitable cross-compilers.'

from 'R Installation and Administration'?  It looks like the MinGW project
are never going to release the sources for their build of gcc 4.2.1 and
that the next release will be of 4.3.0.

I've not used them, but

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-cross/

does offer i386 and x86_64 cross-build toolchains for F8 and F9, and I've
seen references to Ubuntu/Debian cross-build toolchains.