[Rd] problem building R packages on RHEL 4 Linux with Intel compilers

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri May 30 02:06:21 CEST 2008

On May 29, 2008, at 6:11 PM, Mark Kimpel wrote:

> Esmail and Simon, I would direct you to the very first sentence of my
> original post, "I would like to build R and packages with the Intel
> 10.1
> compilers in RHEL4." I DO NOT want to build with gcc, that is the
> very point
> of this thread. Does anyone have an answer to my original question?
> I need
> to know what flags to put with configure so that packages will be
> compiled
> with Intel 10.1 when I do "install.packages" from within R.

You'll get that *if* the package is not broken and you compiled R with
icc. However, many packages don't use autoconf properly which results
in broken configure scripts (the configure will use a different
compiler and flags than R, effectively making it useless).

So, in order to furter help you, you have to be more specific (which
package we're talking about for example)...

Cheers,
Simon

> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 5:54 PM, Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek at r-project.org
> >
> wrote:
>

>> On May 29, 2008, at 5:45 PM, Mark Kimpel wrote:
>>
>> Simon, I scanned the config.log, which is too voluminous to insert
>> below,
>>> but it seems that gcc is still being looked for as the compiler.
>>> See the
>>> lines from config.log below. Mark
>>>
>>> Thread model: posix
>>> gcc version 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-9)
>>> configure:4824: $? = 0
>>> configure:4831: gcc -V >&5
>>> gcc: `-V' option must have argument
>>> configure:4834: $? = 1
>>> configure:4857: checking for C compiler default output file name
>>> configure:4884: gcc -fast -unroll -wd188 -I/usr/local/include -L -L
>>> -L/usr/local/lib64 conftest.c  >&5
>>> gcc: unrecognized option `-wd188'
>>> cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-fast"
>>>

>> ^^ there you go: "-fast" is not supported by your gcc and "-wd188" is
>> ignored (whatever you're trying achieve with that) ... it's there
>> in plain
>> english ;).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Simon