[Rd] (PR#11537) help (using ?) does not handle trailing whitespace

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri May 30 21:26:45 CEST 2008

We don't know how to reproduce this: 'whitespace' is not specific enough.

R's tokenizer breaks input at spaces, so a space would never be part of
that expression.  And tabs don't even get to the parser in interactive
use, and you cannot mean a newline.  So exactly what do you mean by
'whitespace'?

The character in your email as received here is an ASCII space, and that
is used to end the token on all my systems.  That's not to say that you
didn't type something else that looks like a space (e.g. a nbspace) since
email systems are fickle.

None of my guesses worked, so we need precise reproduction instructions.