[Rd] R CMD check with Matlab and perl?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sun Nov 2 18:40:39 CET 2008

Hi, All:

      How might one test Matlab and perl code during "R CMD check"?

      I ask for two reasons:  First, the "fda" package exists in both R
and Matlab, and it would help if we could run test examples in Matlab as
part of "R CMD check".  I tried "R.matlab", but could not get it to work
in that context.

      Second, I have professional colleagues who write code in Matlab
and perl, but have no unit or regression testing.  If I could test
Matlab and perl from within "R CMD check" examples, I think I could get
them to use it, because it would produce more "trustworthy software"
[the "Prime Directive" of Chambers (2008) Software for Data Analysis
(Springer)] AND give them documentation at the same time -- while
simultaneously reducing the cost of producing and maintaining code to
given specifications.

      Thanks,
      Spencer