[Rd] gfortran optimization problems

Mike Prager mike.prager at noaa.gov
Mon Nov 3 17:11:03 CET 2008

Dave Roberts <droberts at montana.edu> wrote:

> I have a routine in package labdsv that calls a FORTRAN subroutine.
> Recently, I was informed that it sometimes gives different results on a
> PC and Mac, and that the PC version is clearly wrong.  I tested it on
> linux (because I don't have a PC), and I get the same (incorrect)
> behavior as the PC.
>
> Simply by inserting debug WRITE statements in the FORTRAN I would get
> different, and correct, results, so I assumed it was an optimization
> error.
>
>[...]

Not to prejudge the case, but such sometime errors are classic
symptoms of access violations in Fortran, such as accessing a
variable whose value has not been set, exceeding array bounds,
or something similar.  The usual suggestion is to recompile the
Fortran with ALL error-checking options turned on and see if
such a bug turns up.

--
Mike Prager, NOAA, Beaufort, NC