[Rd] problem packaging S4 class that contains a slot of jobjRef class

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Nov 6 23:41:39 CET 2008

Adrian,

my guess would be that you're trying to crate some Java objects at the
top level of your package. That won't work, because R stores a
serialized image of created objects for efficiency and hence the
reference to any Java objects that you create will disappear as soon
as you're done installing the package. When you try to load the
package you'll end up with null references for all objects you have
attempted to create that way. You have two options to avoid that:

1) create objects at load time - i.e. in the initialization function
after you have called .jpackage. Only then is Java up and running so
you can safely create Java objects

2) [not recommended] use .jcache to serialize objects you want to keep
at the top level after creating them. They will be then lazily
deserialized after the package has been loaded. However, this requires
all such classes to implement Serializable interface on the Java side
and is conceptually not clean, because you have to be careful when
your cached serialization goes out of sync with the actual object (see
details in the documentation of .jcache).

This is just my guess based on the symptoms since I think you actually
failed to send us the part of code that triggers the problem.

Cheers,
Simon