[Rd] typo in ?pie

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Nov 10 22:07:44 CET 2008

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008, Spencer Graves wrote:

> Hello:
>     The help page for 'pie' includes "judgements";  the standard spelling
> does not include "e", as spell checkers have informed me many times.
>     ... in case someone wants to correct that typo.

>From the OED:

judgement, judgment

  1. a. The action of trying a cause in a court of justice; trial. (Now
rare or merged in 3.) Also applied to trial by battle (quot. 1377: see
BATTLE n. 2) or ordeal (Judgement of God).

(The header of the entry means that 'judgement' is preferred but
'judgment' is an alternative spelling.)

So we do not want to change a preferred spelling into an alternative one.
(dictionary.reference.com says it is also correct in American but there
'judgment' is preferred and 'judgement' is 'mainly British'.)

'British' spelling is in the majority amongst R-core, and preferred for R
documentation (that is in the guidelines somewhere).