[Rd] Dynamic linking to binary code from other packages??

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Nov 13 15:15:59 CET 2008

On Nov 12, 2008, at 23:16 , Jeff Ryan wrote:

> Charles,
>
>> I've looked through the "Writing R Extensions" manual, and can't find
>> this documented very clearly.  A previous question to the list gave
>> me
>> the very kind response pasted below.  I've looked at the suggested
>> examples (lme4 using C functions from Matrix).
>
> It isn't really "clearly" explained.  I will give it a try though.
>
> You can't use compiled/packaged functions from within _your_ compiled
> code unless the package that you are referring to (affxparser) makes
> them available for export.
>
> If affxparser doesn't do this you are back to Dirk's method.
>
> For the sake of others who have gone down this road I will explain
> what I know, and probably in the process learn what I may be doing
> wrong. (all of this I learned by reading the sources for R and lme4
> and Matrix).
>
> Matrix has a copy of the Matrix.h header in its /inst directory,
> specifically /inst/include/Matrix.h
>
> This gets installed as /include/Matrix.h, which is where LinkingTo
> links to during compilation.
>
> You (or the affxparser author) will also need a handful of C calls
> that are complementary to ones in the package you are getting the
> functions from.
>
> An example from Matrix:
>
> /include/Matrix_stubs.c contains

> CHM_DN attribute_hidden
> M_as_cholmod_dense(CHM_DN ans, SEXP x)
> {
>    static CHM_DN(*fun)(CHM_DN,SEXP) = NULL;
>    if(fun == NULL)
> 	fun = (CHM_DN(*)(CHM_DN,SEXP))
> 	    R_GetCCallable("Matrix", "as_cholmod_dense");
>    return fun(ans, x);
> }

FWIW this is not exactly the most efficient way to do it. It's much
easier to do it the commonly used way of setting the function pointers
directly (taking the situation above):

CHM_DN(*M_as_cholmod_dense)(CHM_DN,SEXP);

in the initialization function of the package populate all the pointers:

M_as_cholmod_dense = (CHM_DN(*)(CHM_DN,SEXP)) R_GetCCallable("Matrix",
"as_cholmod_dense");

By setting the functions right away you save yourself the trouble of
checking it on every call and using a function call twice. This allows
you to use the function transparently in your code, so you don' t need
any function wrappers:

x = M_as_cholmod_dense(a, b);

This is pretty much standard C programming, so the above should be
quite obvious (I hope).

The only reason to do it the complicated way above is if you want to
do some extra processing in the wrapper function so your function
pointer is not visible from outside the function.

Cheers,
Simon