[Rd] Package install problem on Windows (PR#13284)

Tony Plate tplate at acm.org
Fri Nov 14 00:11:27 CET 2008

Thanks for the response.

Are the problems with versioned installs fundamental, or are they just a
case of incomplete implementation and rough edges?
If the latter, would fixes be considered?

I ask because we would find versioned installs very useful in
maintaining stable production systems, each of which might run with
different versions of various packages, while making it easy to
continually develop and refine our packages.  As a point of info, our
primary use for versioning would be with our own packages, so we could
probably get away without using versioned installs for base or
contributed packages.

However, if the problems with versioned installs are not amenable to the
kinds of fixes that users can contribute, then I guess we should look
for a different approach.

Suggestions and comments are welcome!  Do many people use versioned
installs?

-- Tony Plate (coworker of Lars @ blackmesacapital.com)