[Rd] Buggy trellis.focus() with xyplot ?

Felix Andrews felix at nfrac.org
Thu Nov 20 05:26:24 CET 2008

2008/11/20 Daniel Kornhauser <dkor at northwestern.edu>:
> Thanks a lot for taking this on guys !
>
> Some more background in case you are interested:
>
> I have almost a working version of focus for selecting a panel with mouse
> over in a stanalone Java application using an REngine I only have two
> issues:
>
> - trellis.unfocus() is terribly slow in a plot of 10 x 10 panels, it takes
> 1.5 seconds to unfocus, do you know any way to speed it up ?

Yep, redrawing R plots is slow. If you remove a grob the whole plot
needs to be redrawn. The solution is to use highlight = FALSE in the
trellis.focus() command. Obviously then there will be no visual
indication (red outline) of which panel is in focus. (If you need that
you could draw it yourself and then overpaint it with white to hide
it, maybe... the best solution would be to draw it using Java
graphics, rather than R graphics, and store a buffer, but I don't know
whether that's possible in your system).

> - the conversion problem that Deepayan referred too in the previous, but I
> guess that will be fixed soon. :-)
>

> I am working in a bastardized version of trellis.focus taking an x and y
> from an event handler (in Java, C, etc ...) which focuses and highlights the
> panel so the REngine instance can perform more operations on the selected
> panel.
> This would be very useful for easily creating GUI for interactive
> visualizations exploration of large multidimensional data sets using lattice
> and geared towards non programmers.
>
> I don't really know what I am getting into, so any advice would be welcomed.

Sounds similar to some of the functionality of the 'playwith' and/or
'latticist' packages. You might want to look at them. playwith is
built with GTK+.