[Rd] Turning off compiler optimization

Michael Braun braunm at MIT.EDU
Thu Nov 20 21:25:16 CET 2008

Hi.  I am writing some code in C that I would like to link into R.

My Makevars file is:

PKG_CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include
PKG_LIBS=-L/usr/local/lib -lgsl
PKG_CFLAGS = -Wall -O0 -g -p -pg

The source file is core.c,. and I am compiling using R CMD SHLIB
core.c  The output is

gcc -arch x86_64 -O3 -g -p -std=gnu99 -I/Library/Frameworks/
R.framework/Resources/include -I/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/
Resources/include/x86_64 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include   -
Wall -O0 -g -p -pg -fPIC  -g -O2 -c core.c -o core.o

gcc -arch x86_64 -O3 -g -p -std=gnu99 -dynamiclib -Wl,-
headerpad_max_install_names  -undefined dynamic_lookup -single_module -
multiply_defined suppress -L/usr/local/lib -o core.so core.o -L/usr/
local/lib -lgsl  -F/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/.. -framework R -
Wl,-framework -Wl,CoreFoundation

I am running R 2.7.1 on a Mac Pro (Intel-based) with OS X 10.5.5.

My problem is that, for debugging purposes, I would like to turn off
compiler optimization (so gdb stops telling me that values are
temporarily unavailable due to optimizations).  I thought I was doing
that by putting the -O0 flag in PKG_CFLAGS in the Makevars file.  But
from the output, it looks like there is still some optimization going
on.  I would also like to avoid writing a Make file from scratch, if
at all possible.

I looked through the documentation and archives, and was unable to
find a solution to this.  Can someone offer some assistance?

Thanks,

Michael

Michael Braun
Homer A. Burnell Career Development Professor, and
	Assistant Professor of Management Science (Marketing Group)
MIT Sloan School of Management
One Amherst St., E40-169
Cambridge, MA 02142
braunm at mit.edu